Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tweaking My Methods

In addition to using Songlight curriculum with Sue Patrick's Workbox System, I have now decided to incorporate Charlotte Mason's approach into how I teach my children. I began studying various books about Charlotte Mason's thoughts on education, and I was drawn to her philosophy because it makes sense to me and mirrors what I know to be true about my own children. I not only want them to have a great home education, but I want them to develop a life-long love for learning, to keep the curiosity God put inside their beautiful minds, and to be motiviated by self-respect and good will. I don't want to just have "school" at home, with dry, uninteresting textbooks, long lessons, lectures from the teacher and rigid daily schedules. After pondering all this, I realized that Sonlight lends itself very well to Mason's methods. We are already using many "living books" for history and science; we already use dictation (a limited amount), meaningful copywork, and some forms of what she calls "narration."  In addition, I would like to add in weekly hymns, a weekly picture study of great artworks, classical music appreciation, Shakespeare (for children) more handicrafts/life skills projects, and weekly nature journaling. Now that I am in love with the idea of putting some of the CM ideas into our routine, my mind is opening up to the possibilities of "what" can go "where" and how to change our routine for next year. I've joined, and am getting some great ideas from my Sonlight-Workbox group and Charlotte Mason-Sonlight group, both on Yahoo. If you, reader, are interested in exploring Charlotte Mason further, I highly advise the book, A Charlotte Mason Companion, by Karen Andreola.

No comments:

Post a Comment