Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Homeschool PE


Since I started my home school journey, one of my biggest dilemmas has been to provide a sound fitness program.  Oh, I had good intentions. I bought a homeschool fitness book, which still sits on the shelf, crisp and unused. I told myself that the kids would get plenty of exercise riding their bikes or taking a swim class.  I attempted a few “get outside and get some exercise” decrees but that didn’t fool any of us, either. I knew I had to come up with something better, but what? Working out has never been a strength of mine, and planning a PE program was no less a challenge.  On top of that, we live in Wisconsin, where the frozen winters often inspire me to drink hot chocolate and curl up in front of the fire, but don’t do much for my apathy enthusiasm for exercise.

Enter Fitness 4 Homeschool, my hero! An entire physical education curriculum created by  professionals (a PhD in Kinesiology,  a certified Trainer, and a certified Nutritionist).  Designed especially for homeschoolers ages K-8, this program does it all:

·         Little preparation (they email the PDF lesson plans to you each month!)

·         Easy to do

·         Requires only basic equipment ( i.e., balls, jump ropes, hula hoops, bean bags)

·         Provides “how to” video links for ALL the activities and exercises.

·         Geared for all ages and abilities

Fitness 4 Homeschool is for the whole family---not just the kids. The lessons (260 of them) are loaded with great games and activities that will have everyone moving and having fun together. Because it is geared for ages K-8 (most adults will work up a sweat, too), the whole family can enjoy moving and interacting.  Each lesson provides a warm up, activities/games,  and a cool down routine at the end.  These are not merely boring calisthenics, like I had when I was in school. They include fun and creative things, like the crab walk, the ankle alphabet exercise, jump the river, and the plank, to name just a few.  AND, it can be done indoors or out---so you’re covered no matter what the weather! Each lesson takes anywhere from a half-hour to an hour to complete---fits into our school day perfectly.

You also get cool, downloadable tools like an assessment test,  a tracking calendar, and more.  You get all this for a one-time cost of $99, less than what it costs to sign up two kids for YMCA swim lessons for one semester.  Remember, this is for the entire family and you can use it year after year. They will even send you a one week  FREE trial, to see if it’s right for your family. Now how nice is that? The curriculum is reusable, but the company does plan to offer a more advanced course for those who may want to add a higher level later on. I am so thankful  I came across this company. I definitely encourage you to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment